Thursday, August 26, 2010

Some thing from this book needs no title...

 I love the artist or scholar whose activity is like the bee
pursuing the delicious nectar of the flowers. The bee has no
mind to become a renowned authority on which flowers
contain the best nectar; the bee simply loves nectar. In all
probability, the bee, through his actual experience will soon
have a fantastic knowledge of the flower geography of his
neighborhood-as good perhaps as any human scholar who
"studies" botany. And I say the bee really knows the flower
much better than the botanist. The botanist merely knows
about the flower; the bee knows the flower directly. The more
analytically minded reader might well ask, at this point, just
what I mean by "knowing about something" versus "knowing it
directly." I wish I could answer him! The distinction is so
difficult to explain rationally, and yet it is of such vital
importance.

No comments: